Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Script problems for read-only in FM Server 5.5

This topic is 6604 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm running a database that has approx 50 files in it on FM Server 5.5. Will upgrade to Server 8 but cannot do it right now.

I need clients with browsing (read-only) privileges to be able to run scripts. Many scripts need to have parameters set by the user for the finds. All entries to set the parameters are in global fields (which my read-only clients have access to).

The clients are able to change the global fields but when the script uses the global fields to set criteria for the finds, a message appears saying that the field is not modifiable. This essentially makes most of the reports unusable for my clients.

I know that FM 8 allows customized privileges that allow scripts to be executable, but we are not ready for that yet.

Any suggestion?

Thanks

Hi mulligan,

You should be able to run such finds in FM5/6.

Make sure the passwords' group(s) have 'read' access to the fields and layouts used in the Find, and 'read and write' access to any globals that the script tries to set (and 'read and write' access to the layout used when setting these globals.) If that looks okay, maybe you can post a script that's giving you trouble, so we can see if there's anything in the script that could be the problem.

Edited by Guest

Thanks Ender,

You have given me somthing new to try. I'm not sure I gave my browsers "read and write" access to the layouts. I'll check that out.

Also, I'm not sure that I was clear about where I think the problem may occur. For example, if a browser client wants to do a find to show students from one school, the client enters the school code into a global field. That seems to work okay. Then, in the script (after Enter Find Mode), the school code field is set to the global school code.

I think the problem may occur when the script (in Find Mode) tries to set a field the browser client does not have "write" access to. I don't want to give access to the school code because I don't want that changed by the browser client somewhere else in the database.

Is that a possible problem, or can fields with "read only" access be set to the value of a global field in a script?

I'll check out my settings on the layouts giving me problems. Thanks for the response!

In FM5/6, the script cannot override the access privileges of the field/layout.

If you can transcrible your problem script for us (and describe the privileges on the fields and layouts involved,) or attach a clone of the file (with passwords,) we may be able to identify the problem more clearly and offer a solution.

Hi Ender,

Problem solved - I think! I was making an example file to show you what wasn't working right -- but everything kept working right in my simplified example. As I checked more carefully, I found that my problem was not the finds, but a Global Report # setting that I had overlooked when giving my browsers read/write privileges.

Unfortunately, that setting is in almost every script, so of course I got error messages -- I just misinterpreted the error because I assumed I had marked the Global Report # correctly. After spending a short period of time banging my head against the wall and screaming "dummy, dummy" I tried several scripts again and they worked correctly.

From looking at my scripts, it seems to me that "set field" within Find script steps will work okay even without user access to the field. So far it seems to be working that way for me now.

Does that sound right?? Thanks for your help. Your comments and request for my scripts got me on the right path - so far. If I find that I still don't have it quite right, I hope you won't mind coming to my rescue again.

Thanks,

Mulligan

From looking at my scripts, it seems to me that "set field" within Find script steps will work okay even without user access to the field. So far it seems to be working that way for me now.

It looks like the password must have read & write access to the field ("accessible" in the Overview dialog.) but since Set Field is not layout dependant, the password need not have read & write access to the layout.

See the attached demo. The master password is "master".

access.fp5.zip

I used your "access" file and it simplified things enough that I can see very easily what works, doesn't work, and why. It's like the difference between giving me a fish and teaching me to fish!

I'm definitely on track now and ready to tackle my database so that browsers are able to find the records they need for reports.

Thanks Ender. I would have been mired down with this problem for days or weeks because I didn't have a good grip on the fundamentals.

This topic is 6604 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.