Matching a value list

Khyber

This topic is 8407 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a database where I've already entered data into a text field. I want to add a value list to that field so I don't have to type in the information, but some of the information I don't want on the value list.

For instance, one of the fields uses the data 001, 002, 003 and so on that I entered in manually. I want the value list to be only 1, 2, 3, and so on. Is there a way to sync up the value list with the similiar data already in the field to change it rather than having to go back and manually change 001 with the value list selection of 1.

If these are all numeric values, and you have a limited number of values in the value list, I would do a search for all records where the field = 001 then do a replace with 1. Likewise for 002, 003 etc. You could script this if you have a lot of different values.

You could also try using the replace command to replace the contents of the field with itself if it's defined as a numeric field. I think that should strip leading zeroes on all records at once. Make a backup first!

This topic is 8407 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.