Validation using two fields

jstrack

This topic is 8401 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I would like to validate a two field combination to ensure that no duplicates are allowed. For example, one field is a color and the second field is an object (i.e. Red balloons, Orange Hats). This is straight forward for one field however, I cannot find a way to accomplish this with multiple fields. If I try to create a combo text field using the calculaiton method only the first field is displayed. I cannot find a way to validate a calculation field as an alternative.

Thanks much

It's possible but it's complex. What you're trying to do is something called cross-field validation, and there is a technique for it which is outlined in Scriptology (great book, if you don't already have it). If you get the book, there's a sample file on the CD that shows how it works. It's been a while since I had to do this, and I can't find the CD to refresh my memory, but it involves using a concatenated field, a relationship and a lookup. I took a look on databasepros, but couldn't find a techniqe file for it. I looked on fmfiles also with no luck.

So, the best advice I can give right now is that it's possible, but I don't remember how. frown.gif" border="0

Sorry I'm not more help, but perhaps someone else here knows another good technique file site.

Chuck

Hi

This is a bit tricky to explain so I have a demo file I just made to see if I could remember how to do this... and I did. So I will send it to you if your email address is there... if not let me know what it is.

Regards

This topic is 8401 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.