Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Conditional value list, THEN lookup

This topic is 6612 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I wanted to add a conditional value list then a lookup to my database, but I have thus far been unable to get it to work.

Here is the concept:

I have a category value list. After selecting the category, a relational value list is used for the item. I then want a lookup used for description and unit price. However, the lookup happens as soon as I seect the category.

Anyone know a way around this?

These are fun. In the data source file, build an index field that concatenates the categories you need like this:

Index Field:

Category 1 & "¶" &

Category 1 & Category 2 & "¶" &

Category 1 & Category 2 & " " & Category 3

In the destination file build a concatenated field like this:

Pointing or Aiming Field:

TrimAll(Category1 & " " & Category 2 & " " & Category 3; 2; 0)

Then create a relationship from the Aiming field in the destination file to the index field in the source file.

Pick lists for Category 1 is straightforward: any existing value in the Category 1 field.

Once a value for Category 1 is entered, that value is matched to all occurances of Category 1 in the index field by the relation you defined. You pick Category 2 from that list.

The pick list for category 2 is taken from the related Category 1 records that have Category 2 entries. The list will be all category 2 values with the same Category one value. The pick list will be all Category 3 values that have the same Category 2 and Category 1 values you selected.

You can extend this method as far as your classification system demands. Only one relationship is used! Eventually, you will come to a unique combination of entries from Category 1 through Category N. Three levels is about right for most situations.

A perfect analogy is the Taxonomic arrangement in Biology: kingdom. phylum, class, order, family, genus, and species (with genus and species usually appearing together). That categorically covers all living things in seven category levels. If you get past four, IMHO, you're gonna confuse people.

This topic is 6612 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.