Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Related Field Record Locking

This topic is 6606 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

... On each of my main layouts i have 2 fields: post code / state fields which are both fields from a related table that are related by the suburb name field (present in both the main TO's and the related suburb Table). While i know i could have used look up fields, i did this in order to avoid adding suburbs manually in a different section of the database.

My question is this: If the suburb or state field is being modified on two of my main layouts at once, will record locking occur. My second question is whether record locking occurs by Table Occurance or by Table. Finally, my question is, if i enter a field within one of my main layouts, (not pertaining to a related suburb TO) will the Suburb TO lock that particular related record?

Thanks lots,

~Genx

I can't see suburb making a good primary key, at least not by itself, because not every city has a unique name. Suburb+State might be OK.

I just downloaded the list of postcodes from Australia Post, converted it into a FMP file and searched for duplicates. It found 1639 out of 10160 - around 15%.

Trivia: Australia has five Springfields! NSW, QLD, SA, TAS, WA. (We've only got seven states.)

Lol umm, hmmm, never thought of that, but umm.... most posting will still be done within one state, so i'm not sure how much of an issue it will be... but point taken.

~Genx

This topic is 6606 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.