Server Maintenance This Week. ×

"hidden" layout shows up during scripted print

ryobimike

This topic is 6354 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

In versions 3-6, if you were scripting a print function, FM would keep the layout you were printing "hidden" e.g.

go to layout abc

go to layout xyz

print setup (restore, no dialog)

print (restore, no dialog)

go to layout abc

FM would perform the script and the user would never see layout xyz.

Now in FM8 I'm finding that even if I add a "freeze window" script step as in

go to layout abc

freeze window

go to layout xyz

print setup (restore, no dialog)

print (restore, no dialog)

go to layout abc

layout xyz is visible to the user, breifly visible, but it's really annoying. I called FM tech support and they said they can't duplicate the freeze window step not working.

Anybody have any ideas?

...a) try doing this in a different file

;) are you sure the freeze window is in the right place i.e. is the user meant to be seeing layout abc during the script?

c) if it works in the other file, it's likely you might have a corruption or something, try recovering your file.

~Genx

• Newbies

I spoke with Tech Support at FileMaker today. They said they could not get the "freeze window" function to fail as I have experienced.

They asked me to try a different file. I used a converted table from the previous version of the solution I am working on. Sure enough, IT had the same problem. In FM 6, the printed layout stays hidden. In FM8, the printed layout briefly appears while the script is beng executed. I tried inserting a freeze window step in the converted table. No joy. Still has the same problem.

I did recover the file per your suggestion. Still no joy.

I do not believe this issue is related to corruption at all. It is a behavior change in vs. 7/8. Scripts fire depending upon the table occurrence of the layout which depends (I believe) upon the selected window (active window?). I was able to duplicate the issue as well if you mean seeing the second layout and the flash of the print dialogs as they fired. There is no hiding it.

Please don't run recover on a file unless it has crashed or has serious problems and then simply as an attempt to save the data...

• 2 months later...

This same thing happes to me in SOME cases. Not all the time. When I print an invoice, I freeze the window, and perform a sub script in another file, it works fine. If the print layout is in the same file as the freeze step, it seems to flash the "hidden layout". I hope there is a "fix" soon. Some of my users freak a little when the see it...

Shawn

ThatOneGuy offered a suggestion awhile back ... place the window totally off screen. No flash or partial window display. I haven't tried it yet but I know it will work. If you would like me to find the specific post, I will be happy to find it again. Basically, if you move it left, place the right side at -1000 (if the window is 989, for instance). I have it on my list of play things ...

• 5 months later...

This topic is 6354 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.