Multiple finds using different fields

This topic is 6569 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm trying to create a latetardy DB for my school.

I would like to have 2 different searches which will narrow our school roster down to only a single teachers class list. I would like the parent to find the teachers name first and then have then have them search through that class only to find their student. I'm trying to bypass them looking through 600 records to find their childs name.

Thanks for your help.

You could do that using the Constrain Found Set script step, but why not search for both at the same time? You could setup a conditional value list for the Students, conditional on the selection of Teacher.

Conditional value lists are hard to describe without knowing more about the structure it's intended for. Is this a single file, or do you have separate files for Student, Teacher, Enrollment, and Class? What are the fields involved?

This is going to be a single file that has multiple layouts. The main fields are student name, teacher name, & contact names. I want to be able to print a tardy slip with reason for being late at the end of the checkin process.

Okay, so one value list "Teacher Names", using the values from field: Teacher Name. Next define a self-join relationship between YourFile::Teacher Name and Self_Join::Teacher Name. Then define a second value list "Student Names", select "use values from field..." defined with "Only related values" from "Self_Join::Student Name".

With the "Teacher Names" value list used on the Teacher Name field and the "Student Names" value list used on the Student Name field, you can enter Find Mode, select a Teacher Name, then select a Student Name (that has that teacher.)

BTW: You should consider a relational structure, with different files for each entity. This greatly improves data-entry efficiency and makes it easier for users to quicly navigate through the data. Using portals, they can see at a glance the Enrollments for a particular Class, or the Classes for a particular Student.

This topic is 6569 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.