viewing value lists in other files...

richshone

This topic is 8279 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I would like to know if I can view a value list from another file and use it to insert values into a repeating field in a second file, also keeping the value list editable from the second file.

It would be a value list of songs in file (a) which is related to file (: via date ranges/client and is used to create set lists for shows by artists I work for. I originally had numerous fileds in file (: that would contain the songs but I think I have finally found a useful and sensible way to utilise a repeating field for once as this info never needs to be separated. This mod would help me clean up file (: a bit and connect the songs to the artist in a more direct way, allowing me to have as many song lists as I have clients with not trouble. I just wanted to check on any potential issues related to moving the value list to file (a) and looking at (and manipulating it) it from file (: before doing the modification. Thanks for any input.

Stay away from repeating fields as much as you can; they are not flexible and accessible enough.

You can use the "Use value list from another file". That is very flexible, because in that another (second) file you can use "Use values from field" and that way you have all the powers on your fingertips.

thank you for your input and like I tried to indicate, I am aware of the fact that repeating fields are not useful in most cases. However, in this case it does make sense to do it this way as the song lists are MEANT to be part of the same set of data. I was more curious about the issues related to having a repeating field that looks into another file's value list and if there may be problems doing it this way.

No matter how much you think repeating fields "make sense", I'll bet within 6 months you will see the limitations and be sorry you used them. In recent years the ONLY thing I've used them for is as container fields for storage of colors used in calculated backgrounds, PERIOD.

It's the value list that looks into the other files values, not the repeating field. Value lists work with repeating fields the same way they work with non-repeating fields.

-bd

This topic is 8279 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.