Newbie Q - can't lookup info....

This topic is 6577 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am trying to get one layout (based on one table) to lookup a name from another layout (based on a different table) based on an ID that I enter. I have the field for the name set to lookup from the right table... but when I enter the ID nothing happens... I'm not sure if I need to make the lookup a portal or what. The fields in the two tables are related... argh. Any help would be appreciated. I'm VERY new at this...

Basically: input guest ID into tour layout, lookup guest name (based on guest table)

The relationship is based on the ID number.

I have 2 tables: 1 is guests, other is tours.

In tours I am trying to type the guest ID and have it lookup the guest name from the guest table.

I have the guest name set to lookup (in the tours table) but it won't lookup... i think maybe I have the guest ID set wrong. It's a number based on the tour table... but I've tried it as a number based on the guest table, too... and when I do that, it won't let me put anything in. I'll attach images of the tour layout and the relationship database for you to look at. I don't think it will let me post the FM file. It may be hopelessly messy. :o

Images_of_file.pdf

True, there is usually only one primary relationship between two tables, but often it is useful to have additional relationships to filter by various criteria.

Take as an example, a calendar solution. The data for the events on a particular day would probably be stored in an Event table (or Day table) and that's primarily related as a child of the Calendar table. This relationship may work fine for a portal on the Calendar to enter Events for that Calendar, but that portal won't position the Events in a weekly or monthly view. For that, additional TOs are used for each Day slot on the weekly or monthly view, filtering each relationship to show the related Events for a particular day slot.

Okay, so let me ask another question. I think what I want is something LIKE an invoice, but not an invoice.

On my tours page I want to be able to book a different park for each day a guest is here (and eventually add restaurants, etc. to bookings). I had thought to try and do that by inputting an id for the park... but it might be easier to do it as multiple drop downs....

My confusions starts (again) b/c I tried to do a lookup like above, but the name that was entered was the same for each park id I put in (it was only looking up the first id)... I tried a portal, but it wouldn't let me put anything in the portal in browse mode... So I'm obviously missing something.

I want the tour page to look a bit like an invoice where the date is entered, then the park, then the restaurant, etc.

I don't want to have to keep changing back and forth between layouts b/c if I'm on the phone with someone that's awfully time consuming...

Does that make any sense? And, if so, any thoughts? I'll upload the file so you can look at it.... I figured out I could just zip it. : duh.

:o Amanda

Guest_Management_v8.zip

I'm not sure why you've got this thread going in multiple forums:

http://filemakertoday.com/filemakertoday.com_non_ssl/com/showthread.php?t=9377

Why not see if one works before looking elsewhere, that way we're not covering the same ground.

Don't sweat it... I'm a member on both sites.

I don't see anything wrong with posting on two different sites when time is considered of the essence.

I think next time, just reference that you posted the same request on multiple sites, and note which ones (and provide a link if possible). This practice will also aid others who have the same question to find other places where their question might be answered.

Other than that, as long as you're using the same username on all the sites, chances are we'll figure out it is the same person and not rehash everything.

No problem, Slats. There are a number of other, more common situations, that call for multiple TOs for a given table. Usually for conditional value lists you would need to add additional TOs for each condition. The source table might be the same, but for each successive conditional value list, a different TO would be used (where the previous choice becomes another filter on the next relationship.)

Hi Amanda,

It is not necessary to remove your duplicate thread at this point, but I hope you'll consider my request for the future; that you try your threads in one forum at a time. If you don't get satisfactory results within a day or two, see if there's additional info you can add to clarify, if not, go ahead and try another site.

My reasons for suggesting this are twofold: If the question is written clearly and you have provided enough detail for someone to offer specific suggestions, the response time will be about the same on whichever site you use, and the solutions you get would be pretty similar. Even if different people come up with different solutions, it's still better to have them together in one place, so we can at least test and offer improvements of the other solutions or defend our own. This helps come up with a consensus about the best approach.

Also, as someone who takes time to think about and respond in detail to most of the threads I choose to get involved in, it annoys me to find the same exact question already answered in another site. I don't know how LaRetta, kjoe, and Slats feel about this sort of thing, but when I find I've spent time on a previously answered thread, I'll probably skip that poster's threads in the future. Maybe no one cares about not hearing from me, but if others have the same instinct, it could result in problems finding decent advice.

Anyway, I'm glad that you're making progress on your question. I'm sure you'll be in good hands with LaRetta.

And who knows, Amanda, most of us here view all the forums and I'd answer your question from THERE on THIS thread and totally confuse everyone!! And worse, I might not remember that I answered it and answer it all over again! And sometimes my suggestion might be totally different! :giggle:

I've asked on two different forums and caused this kind of confusion before; that's how I know what happens. We are all efficiency-conscious people ... that's why we're here. We are just suggesting a way to help as many people as possible in an efficient (clear) manner.

LaRetta :wink2:

This topic is 6577 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.