Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Replace function on portal rows?

Patrick Amory

This topic is 6581 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have a database of publications to which materials need to be sent on different dates.

The main table is the list of publications; the child table is the dates on which items were sent; the matchfield is a serial number.

The main table shows the publication name and address at top, with other specification fields, e.g. Fashion, Major Daily etc.). Each record in the main table contains a portal with the related records for the artist and the 3 materials that need to be sent out.

Having found a set of publications, and entered the information in the first portal row on the main table, is there a way to "replace" this information in the remaining records in the found set (but within the portal)? This is how they used to do this when it was a flat file, but now they want the flexibility of a relational database.

Thanks in advance, Patrick

Script the process, performing the replace for the found set of records using (in pseudo code)

Loop

Replace [ restore ]

Go to Record [ next, exit after last ]

End Loop

• Newbies

Script the process, performing the replace for the found set of records using (in pseudo code)

Loop

Replace [ restore ]

Go to Record [ next, exit after last ]

End Loop

Thanks, Vaughan. And this will work within the portal? I don't want it to replace information in portal rows already existing - I want it to add new portal rows. Also, it has to perform the replace all 4 related fields in each row of the portal.

Thanks again, Patrick

You originally wrote:

"Having found a set of publications, and entered the information in the first portal row on the main table, is there a way to "replace" this information in the remaining records in the found set (but within the portal)?"

Then, after I post a solution, you write...

"I don't want it to replace information in portal rows already existing - I want it to add new portal rows."

... which is a completely different requirement! Arrrgh!!

• Newbies

I'm sorry Vaughan... I didn't explain myself very well.

Basically, they used to use 'Replace' in the flat files as a shortcut to typing in the date for materials sent to each publication.

Now that the artist and the materials date (advance, finished, photo) are in a related file, they would like a similar 'replace' function for the portal. If this could be scripted in the related file, that would be fine too. Sorry for the confusion.

Best

Patrick

This topic is 6581 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.