Value List dealing with OTHER

lzeng

This topic is 8200 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Urgent! Urgent!

I need to show the value list in checkboxes and the last item in checkboxes should be "Other", besides "Other", there should be a field which allows the user to type in the other values they want.

When I choose "Include Other..item to allow entry of other values", the "Other.." box not only includes the new value I typed in, but also includes the values that I chose from the checkboxes, which is not what I want!! Moreover, when I publish the database on the Web, the "Other" item disappears, showing me only the other checkbox items.

Can anybody help me immediately! Thank you very much in advance!

The "Include other..." setting doesn't apply to CDML. The work-around I've used is to create the checkboxes (or drop down menu, etc), and add a text field to the form so the user can add the 'other'. When you display the contents of the field, it will contain everything checked, plus the other. If you are using a valuelist based on the contents of the field, the valuelist will update and add the 'other' item to your checkboxes or dropdown list.

I hope this helps! smile.gif" border="0

[ October 30, 2001: Message edited by: MeltDown ]

Hi MeltDown:

Thanks very much for your prompt reply on my inquiry! I highly appreciate that! Feeling regret that "Include other.." doesn't work with ODML.

Meanwhile, I wonder how to add a text field in the form which includes checkboxes already? And then when displaying the contents of this field, it will contain everything checked, plus the other. This is exact what I want. I am using a valuelist based on the contents of that field, how will the valuelist update and add the 'other' item to the checkboxes or dropdown list?

Yesterday, I had no way but defining a new text field and put it besides the field which contains the checkboxes, It looks stupid as the contents in the text field can't be shown together with the contents selected from the checkboxes. It is not what I want!

Could you help me again? Thanks a lot!

Catty

• 1 month later...

You probably already figured this out, but I'll attempt an explanation anyway, just in case. If your checkboxes use Field"A", then the textbox for the "other" entry is also Field"A". After processing, the new entry in Field"A" becomes part of the ValueList generated based on the contents of Field"A". Remember, the text field entry must be processed before it will show up as part of your ValueList.

I hope this helps! Sorry for the delayed response!

smile.gif" border="0

This topic is 8200 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.