Multiple values in one list

izippy

This topic is 8227 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am looking to create a conditional value list with more than 1 tier to it

ie, I want to choose column A - that in turn, effects column B - that in turn, once B is selected, effects column C, and so on, any one know if this is easily done?

I have a database that is full of relative information, starting with size, then type, then costs, etc..... It would be nice to have all my info in one outside file to import into my master, so everything can be easily updated later in just 1 simple location.

I'd appreciate any help, Thanks

You have to create a different relationship for each sub-level of value list. Suppose you have the following fields: Mfgr, Model, Color.

The value list for Mfgr will list the manufacturers. The Model value list will list only the models made by the chosen Mfgr. Similarly, the color value list will list only the colors available for the chosen mfgr and model.

Your related file must have a record for every combination of Mfgr, Model and Color. Both your main and related files need to have a calculated field for the combination of Mfgr and Model; call it MfgrModel (duh), with this formula:

Mfgr&Model

Create a relationship called Mfgr based on the Mfgr fields in each file. Create a relationship called MfgrModel based on the MfgrModel fields in each file. Then use the Mfgr relationship for the Model value list, and the MfgrModel relationship for the Color value list.

If you want to create another sub-level, create another calculated field MfgrModelColor = Mfgr & Model & Color

and make a third relationship using this field. Then, use this relationship for the fourth value list. Ad infinitum.

This topic is 8227 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.