printing with labels

flybriguy

This topic is 6572 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I'm printing with avery labels that allow for 10 labels to a page, but I don't always use all ten labels sometimes. Sometimes I only need to print 1 or 2 . . . . . . so assuming I have 1 or two blank labels left (on the bottom of the page) does anyone know a way that I can force filemaker to display "blank" fields to make up for a page that has already been used up? -so that I can just use the last remaining labels . . .

-brian

ahhh, that won't work as the top and bottom margins differ. But also, sometimes I have the labels preprinted with a graphic already there. The only silly resolution I think I can resort to is create individual "dummy" records with just minimal minimal entry like a period or comma so printing on peeled off plastic won't possibility smudge as much.

-brian

...the same way an apple can be green sometimes?...

It's a wierd question really, they just can be. Filemaker simply creates room for data to be stored and whether you fill that space or leave it empty (leading filemaker to register it as a NULL value), its up to you really.

Why do you think you need a period or a comma?

~Genx

. . . because I just can't seem to bring a blank field to appear. My label layout is sourced from a contact name TO (which is recorded through the contact name portal on the main company layout/table). As it is I have blank records on the main layout (except for tagged auto entry serial numbers on them) . . . . . when I put a search out for say two names, then add two more blank searches with the command/apple "N," the label layout preview will only show the two found names and just automatically omit the two blank search queries - i'm using the avery predefined layout if that helps or matters at all.

**I figured that if I had records with minimal data entry such as period or comma then it'll at least register on a page so it will turn up on a query.

-brian

Edited by Guest

Actually, after writing my previous post I went back to an old layout I had where my Contact name layout actually showed the Comany name id (foreign key related to the Company name on the main table) - my current database has the foreign key omitted from the Contact name layout for aesthetic reasons, but I also thought it unnecessary to see since it was auto-entered and self managed through the portal on the main layout.

So . . . . . I've found that if I put the find request for a specific Company name id with blank data it'll turn up "blank" as the label layout only calls for the name and address from the TO, but not the id. I couldn't see this since before with my current layout.

This topic is 6572 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.