HELP!!! - damaged file - HELP!!!

This topic is 6547 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello Together,

I didn't exactly know where to post this so I did it here.

While entering data fp5 suddenly said Windows discovered an error, I had to close and restart Windows again. As I tried to open the file again fp5 saif I have to use the Recovery Command as the file can't be opened anymore. Doing so doesn't work either.

This file contains my most important data (of course...)and my last back-up is too old to be really helpfull as I've had too many entries since then.

Can anybody help??!! Is there a more advanced receovery out there than in fp5?

Thank you,

Andy

You can try Filemaker, and maybe they can recover it. This points up the need to always back up your data, especially with .fp5 versions (through Version 6). Version 8 is more stable and doesn't require recovery nearly as often, but we still need to backup.

Steve

Hi Andy,

Oh God, I sympathize. I've paid the price too many times to mention.

Yes, I'll try with vs. 8. But if I get it open, it will cost you $100.

The bidding starts now ... :smirk:

Edited by Guest

Thanks for all your suggestions; here's what I did: I copied the corrupted file to another PC that also has fp5 installed. I was able to recover the file there without any loss - SWEAT, BREATHE, RELIEF - which pops up the question: why was the version on my PC not able to recover the file?? Maybe I should install new or update now to FMP8.

Anyway - I would have paid the $100 in a heartbeat if that would have saved my data. If you're not too far away I'll buy you a beer for the help offer ;)

Thank you All,

Andy

You'd buy me a beer for offering to make myself money on your bad situation? Heck, I'd have done it for free ... I just wanted to see if everyone would gasp in horror and jump on me. I'm feeling mischievous today. :crazy2: :wink2:

This topic is 6547 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.