FileMaker Sharing

This topic is 6570 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have a database made with FM 8 and i want share it with others 12 computers.I know that i have to have a license for each computer client and FileMaker Server 8 for the host computer, but what i want to know is ;)

- Do I have to install more than 300 megabytes(size of FM8 Pro) in each computer to open the database remotely?

- Don't have any solution better?Or a version of FileMaker more light?

Sorry for my bad english

Thank you,

Leandro

Filemaker's website says that FMPro v.8 requires 256 MB of RAM installed on a computer (PC or Mac). Whether or not it is in a client/server configuration doesn't make much difference. For a real world example... my system software plus FMPro is currently taking up 258 MB of space in my RAM. If you've got less thatn 256 MB I suspect that you'll see slowdowns due to the need to use virtual memory (i.e. the hard drive).

Another option would be to publish your database using a web interface - Instant Web Publishing, XML/XSLT Custom Web Publishing, Lasso, FX.php, ASP, ColdFusion, Tango, etc.

Your users would then just use a web browser to access the database accordingly, no need for FileMaker Pro on each machine.

The catch is you'd need FileMaker Server Advanced on the server end to serve things, which costs a pretty penny. You could always opt to host with a provider like us http://www.pointinspace.com/> to avoid having to purchase said license as well.

- John

Edited by Guest

• Newbies

I´m planning to use the Web Interface to share my database,but i´ve noted that is too slow in Explorer and don´t work fine with FireFox at least using FM8 Pro,i don´t know if it´s better using FIlemaker Server...

Do you know what i can do to my database run faster and better using web interface?

Thank you for your help and sorry for my english

Edited by Guest

Yes you need the full FM app (all 300MB of it) for full functionality. Remember that almost everything (except some calcs) is done by the client and nothing by the Server.

While FM has grown from a footprint of about 25MB (FM4/5) to over 300MB, disk space is not a premium anymore these days so most people find it irrelevant.

This topic is 6570 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.