Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Displaying 'Other...' choices

Ender

This topic is 6584 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I had a request to have a print form show the value of a checkbox's 'Other...' choice, and it got me thinking about what the best way to do this actually is.

For example, if I have a list of checkbox choices for cars, most of which are available as checkbox choices, but where there may be some that are not available in the value list, so we allow an 'Other...' choice where the user can manually make an entry. Now we want to see what that Other value is when the form is printed.

The first interesting method I've though of, is using a custom function to make an Other calc field, that only shows the values not in the original value list of choices.

A second method I came up with, is using a custom function and a conditional value list, so that all the original values plus the Other values show as checkboxes in a result calc.

A third method is simply using a separate field for Other values.

Attached is a demo showing each of these techniques. I'm sure there are advantages and disadvantages to each, but I'd like to get some opinions about them, and any other ideas for how people handle this.

OtherCheckbox.fp7.zip

Hi Mike

Great stuff...

The first interesting method I've though of, is using a custom function to make an Other calc field, that only shows the values not in the original value list of choices.

Cool that NotList - a Left Outer Join CF!!!

--sd

Cool that NotList - a Left Outer Join CF!!!

That one was from:

http://www.briandunning.com/cf/65

There are several CFs that do an XOR kind of thing, but this one kept the exclusion one-way.

Any preference between the three methods?

Well I'm hanging on to Moyer & Bowers book on the topic, and they try to make the desitinctions between Left- Right- and Full Outer Joins as well as Union Joins. I do usually throw Rays XOR after everything I encounter, but it's for some purposes a fat cat to swing by the tail. say here!

--sd

This topic is 6584 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.