Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Find or Script a mailing name

This topic is 6567 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi. I have a Contact database which lists everyone in their own record. I need to extract a mailing list which will omit students ( I have created a student checkbox field which will allow me to do this) but to also somehow combine the two parents' names as the mailing contact even though they are in their own separate records.

I do have a portal which allows me to see who it is that have the same home address. I figured that the home address would be indicative of 2 parents.

So, how do I create a script that would allow me to (after I omit the students) grab the two parents names and put them in the proper format.

Eg. John and Jane Smith

OR, what if they have a different last name? What provision in the script do I need to add for that?

Help! This is beyond me at my skill level.

I appreciate your help.

Hi mikimonster,

A script may not be necessary. I have the feeling you might need this type of grouping again (?) and might want to use relationships instead (although simply hardcoding 'mom and dad' might be easier still). But here is one way. Since you are looking across the same record set, each parent needs to be isolated. You can use recursive custom function (but you don't have Developer) or you could use GetnthRecord (but that's in vs. 8) ... or, it can be done with a relationship sort. Match on LastName will determine whether they are married. If there are 3 parents, you're in trouble; but then again, so is the kid probably (smile).

You would actually search for the STUDENT records (can be indexed so is fast search). The Student records will then list the parents. I indicated Student with a 1 in the file. If parents are married, it displays them as: Bill and Mary Smith. If they aren't married, it displays them as David Jones and Mary Davis.

So perform a Find for Students and print/display cParents. I hope the file is helpful.

LaRetta

Mailing.zip

This topic is 6567 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.