Value List Conundrum

nelliott

This topic is 8145 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello Everyone!

I'm trying to set up a value list that when you select from it the "value" appears in another field, I need to be able to select a number of "values" and all of them to appear in the other field.

Just in case this doesn't make sense, I want to use it to code up skills for individual and be able to choose multiple skills from a value list to build up the individual's skill profile which could them be searched on at a later date

Hope someone out there can help

Thanks

Nick

Construct the value list, and then have the field formatted as checkboxes. As you click on a value in the checkbox field, it will be entered, separated by paragraph returns. You can observe this by placing an unformatted copy of the field next to the one wioth checkboxes. You will see the values as you enter them.

HTH

Old Advance Man

You can also make multiple selections with menus and radio buttons while holding down the Shift key.

I'd be inclined to do as OAM suggests, especially if you have only a few possible Skills to choose from. However, if the list is lengthy or you want users to be able to scroll through the list without making changes, then just define a calculation field, say, Skills_Display, which simply equals the Skills field. You can put this on your users' layout with entry allowed but they won't be able to make modifications to the Skills field proper.

Thanks both of you but I'm still a little confused. I have tried what you said but it is only showing the first value selected. The skill list will probably hold around 50 different skills so a screen space efficient solution is also required. Anymore help would be appreciated

There are really 2 solutions.

The first, described above, takes some screen real-estate:

Format the Skills field as check boxes, expand so it displays your 50 values perhaps 25 down, 2 across, or 10 down, 5 across. For any given record, the field stores all values that are checked. Confirmed by displaying an unformatted copy of the field (expand it down so you can see more than one line....)

A more sophisticated solution that takes less space is to have a related Skills file. Display a portal to the related file with a Skills field, defined to display a pop-up list (or menu). Then you simple select values from the pop-up and it adds a line to the portal. Find works as normal.

Hope that helps.

This topic is 8145 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.