Help recovering a file

This topic is 6541 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello everybody.

I have a database on wich I do all my invoices, manage clients, purchase orders, etc.

Last night I was working on it and suddenly one of the databases got corrupted, I have since then tried to recover the file without any luck.

It starts with the recovering process and then it just stops at step 6 of 16, I leaved the recovering process all night without success.

I have a Mac running OS 10.4.6 with FileMaker Pro Advanced 8.0v3.

The file is password protected, but I don't think it is necessary for the recovering process, if you need it I'll give it to you.

Thank you very much for reading and for any help you could give.

Paul

Facturas.zip

Hi Paul,

I haven't upgraded to 8.0v3 yet, as I'm waiting to see what, if any, problems it might have. I tried to Recover the file using 8.0v2 and OS 10.3.9, and it stalls out at the same spot that you mentioned (Step 6 of 16).

Sorry

Lee

8.0v3 supposedly has fixes to the "Recover" feature, so perhaps this a bug they've fixed?

It's a bit of voodoo, but sometimes doing an Optimize / Compress operation BEFORE doing the recovery will work, where a straight recovery will fail.

Hey Lee, thanks for trying.

I tried with a PC of a friend and installed the trial version of FM (8.0v1) with the same result: it hangs in the step 6 of 16...

I'm going to try to import the records from this file to a new one and put all the eggs on that basket as a last resort... but it looks like this file is already gone. :frown:

Paul

I have run into this before, where a recovery stalls at that step. Sometimes if you can still open the file, you can go in and delete the last record(s) you were working on when it crashed, then the recovery may work.

Don't know if that will help at all.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey

I just encountered the same problem.

Luckly I have a backed up version. Still I lost 6 hours worth of work today.

I tried the Recovery but it stalled on step 2; and said the file is severely damaged or not created by filemaker.

This is the first time I had to do a Recovery... I thought V8 was stable what is up with that.

This actually happened while I was using the debugger. I am using Windows XP Pro. Filemaker 8 V3.

Filemaker just crashed on me in Windows.

I don't know if I can try recovering on a Mac. If any has a solution please let me know

Thanks

I'd recommend trying various combinations of the compress/optimize step before or after recovery, and trying on a Mac.

Also -- for all you developers out there. It is my opinion that you are MUCH safer working live on a file hosted via filemaker server, as opposed to a file opened locally on your machine. Hosted files seem much more resistant to corruption than files opened locally. And, you can set your server to do automatic backups every hour -- great for cases where FileMaker's lack of an "Undo" button really hurts you.

There are some disadvantages of working on hosted files -- some operations are much slower, and you can't work on the file on an airplane, etc.

This topic is 6541 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.