Copying data from a field to another

This topic is 6559 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

OK i think this will only require a simple solution, but im not too good with filemaker so i don't know how to do this.

Ok i have a table called member list with a field called Name. There is another table called points list with a field called name, this is the field the relationship is based on.

I was wonderering how to script a button that will take me from the member list to the points list layout,then creates a new record and then copies the data that was in the Member Name field into the Points list Name field.

Thanks for all help

Edited by Guest

Hi! Welcome to FM Forums! :wink2:

I highly recommend NOT using name as the field your relationship is based upon. Having clarified that, you can use a script variable. I will use your name field as the example but please change your relationship to uniqueIDs instead (and use the uniqueID in place of Name below).

From your Member layout, button to create new Points would be script of:

Set Variable [ $Name ; Members::Name ]

Go To Layout [ points layout (Points) ]

New Record Request

Set Field [ Points::Name ; $Name ]

Commit Records/Requests

For v7, use script parameter instead of the variable. All prior versions would need to use a global to hold the uniqueID.

LaRetta :wink2:

thanks very much, i dont suppose as an extension you could tell me how to set it that once the name had been imported into the name(points list) field it cannot be edited.

This topic is 6559 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.