Pop-up menu help needed

Silvia

This topic is 8109 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm creating a database in File Maker Pro 5 that will be used for a web site. I have never done a database in FM before (only worked a little with Access), so I hope someone here can help me out a little.

I've come as far as creating several database files (one master file and 3 related files).

So far so good (I think, lol).

The database is supposed to display projects by an architect firm and so I've created the following database files:

- projects.fp5

- employer.fp5

- category.fp5

- images.fp5

In projects.fp5 I've entered information on some of the projects in order to have something to test with. I have also added some images in images.fp5 and they show up perfectly in projects.fp5 (they are related through "Project_ID").

The problem is in projects.fp5. I have the following fields:

- project_ID

- projectname

- employer ID (+ a related field to employer.fp5 to display employer name)

- category ID (+ a related field to category.fp5 to display category name)

- year

- total costs

- short description

- long description

- images (these are related to images.fp5)

When adding a new project I'd like to be able to choose employer name and category name from a pop-up menu. I've tried the methods that are in the "FMP User Guide" but it won't work..

Can anyone help me out a little? I'd be VERY grateful!

Thanks!! smile.gif

Set the value lists for the pull down menus in Projects.fp5 to generate from the records of the other files, sorted however you want.

Basically:

Define Value Lists

New

Use Values from another file

Specify file

define value list in that other file

Use values from the field you want to use

Close all the FMP dialogs and you should be set. I think I got all the major steps in here. Sorry I don't have more time to write this out better. This should point you in the right direction though.

Experiment around with it. If you want you can first define the value list in the external file and then simply call it from your Projects file but I usually use the method above.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Newbies

beginner & i, we have the same situation! ...

when we define valuelists we want to show descriptions on menus, but to store ids ... valuelists defined with two fields, show only 2nd field on menu and store only 1st field on related field ... this is easy on access! ... but seems to be not sooo easy on fm

on fm when you pull down a menu are showed both fields! and when you make a selection the field shows the 1st field ... the ID# ACK!

on web its worst ... it shows ONLY IDs!

what am'i doing wrong?

thanks

mlt crazy.gif

This topic is 8109 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.