Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Problem with passwords in FM8 Advanced

This topic is 6560 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I just upgraded to FM8 Adv. from FM7 Dev. None of the databases I was using in FM7 were password protected. Now when some of them are opened, a password dialog box comes up with my Mac User name as the Account name and none of my favorite passwords work. In some of the other files, I'm allowed to open as a guest. And in still others no dialog box comes up. All of the files are linked by relationships. HELP! I need my data!

I was unaware that FM7 allowed NO PASSWORDS, but the usual default is "Admin".

Go back to your old copy of FM7 and get the passwords from there.

As you have Dev7 then you can also run the database design report for a comprehensive listing.

FM 7 and 8 both start a new file with an "Admin" account with a blank password. By default, the File Options are set to automatically login to this account. But if the account name or password has changed, or this File Option has changed, then the login dialog will appear instead.

A very useful trick that most people forget about, which can save the day when you have forgotten a password that is auto-entered.

/Applications/Utilities/Keychain Access is a tool that lets you view all saved passwords for every application on your mac, as well as websites etc.

I frequently have Safari save my passwords on websites, but occasionally the website will make a change to their site and suddenly Safari won't auto-enter it any more. If I can't remember it, I can ususally dig it out with KeyChain Access.

/Applications/Utilities/Keychain Access is a tool that lets you view all saved passwords for every application on your mac, as well as websites etc.

This could also be a security problem on multi-user computers, like in computer labs.

Edited by Guest

This could also be a security problem on multi-user computers, like in computer labs.

True, but it would take someone with the username and password for the machine to extract passwords from the default account... And generally speaking - most labs don't leave their Macs booting in as either Admin or without a password.

That of course doesn't alter the fact that it is a security problem. Some labs get around it by using external authentication and remotely hosted home folders. :-)

This topic is 6560 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.