Effects of multiple file references

This topic is 6502 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have around 5 clients, all on similar solutions.

The solution itself is split two way, front end (referencing backend) and backend on server.

Rather than having to modify five different files if i want to do an update or bug fix, i'd want to manipulate only one.

Now, each of these servers, have a different ip:

i.e. 192.168.110.10 vs. 192.168.10.1 vs. 192.168.0.1 etc.

If i list these 5 references (and possibly anywhere up to 30) are there going to be any adverse effects, i.e. extra delays on startup?

Cheers,

~Genx

How about using a VARIABLE which is the IP ADDRESS of the hosting machine in the individual client's environments.

Use the variable as a substitute value in your file references.

This way, if the client changes the hosting machine then you can change the variable to suit.

Yes, but that still implies that i have to store various versions of the file for different clients with different server addresses (despite the file being otherwise the same).

However, because i didn't know that you could specify this is a variable, a different thought comes to mind. An extra file with one table, one field. Located in the exact same directory as my front end. This would mean that i could put that as a file reference first, set the variable ip from this file, then attempt to connect to the other file reference through the variable obtained from this one table file.

Though, i'm not a 100% sure this will work unless file references are evaluated in a particular order.

Could anyone tell me if this would work?

Cheers for the suggestion btw, anymore input would be greatly appreciated :

~Genx

Yes, you need to store the ipaddress in another table (or file) - say ClientSetUp.fp7 and use this as a standard reference point for all things variable in your client installations.

How about using a VARIABLE which is the IP ADDRESS of the hosting machine in the individual client's environments.

Use the variable as a substitute value in your file references.

IdealData, I don't think this is possible. Perhaps you can elaborate.

Maybe you're right Ender as I can't test it properly. There is another caveat regarding GLOBAL VARIABLES ($$) in that their scope is restricted to the CURRENT FILE, but that means you should be able to reference a separate TABLE in the same file.

I do believe that the substitution should work though:

Field: IP_Address

Type: Calculation

Calculation: Let ($$HOST_ADDRESS = "192.168.100.0"; $$HOST_ADDRESS & "")

File reference:

fmnet:/$$HOST_ADDRESS/tablename.fp7

Anyway, back to the original question then, anyone have any clue on the effects of storing about 10 references to the same file --> given on different networks?

FileMaker checks each file reference in the order it appears in the file reference list. Once it finds the file, it won't go any further down the list of references. If you put your most likely path at the top, there shouldn't be any speed issues. If you put in 50 file references and your most likely reference is at the bottom, I can foresee this might slow things down if it has to go through all the other file references.

That's a good question that i don't know the answer to. I would suspect we would need to talk to an engineer. The only chance you might get is at DevCon where they have meeting times with engineers. If you need an immediate answer, I would test it out. Shouldn't be hard if you have access to the servers.

Sigh, i'm too poor yet to be able to go to a conference in America. But i will try test it out within the next week and will post the results.

Cheers,

~Genx

The customer whose IP is last in your list won't be real thrilled. How about a button (and/or optionally a script) for Open Define File References. You can document and/or explain to the customer what to change, it's not complicated. Start 'em out with "fmnet:/*/yourfile" and tell them to put the server IP in place of the *asterisk*.

• 1 month later...

The customers, honestly aren't all that bright when it comes to using computers in general and most of them likely don't even know what an IP is, i'd hate to destroy the user friendliness of the solution with this. Maybe i'll just have a set of IP standards.

Or maybe ill just have to compile different sets of install files sigh.

This topic is 6502 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.