Server Maintenance This Week. ×

sub-tables?

imetu

This topic is 6555 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi, i am trying to build a database that contains a table for Customers. For each customer in the table i want to store possibly hundreds of records.

I did set up another table called "items" and tried to relate this to the customer using the common "customerID" field, but i dont know how to make it so that when i enter a new customer in to the customer table, i get a clean slate when i go to enter the data for the new customer into the items table.

I don't know how clear that is. I thought i could somehow build in a sub-table for each customer in the customer table but i dont know enough of fmp to know how to do it. Maybe someone out there knows of some idiot proof instructions that they could point me to. Or have some terms that i can search for information in the fmp online help. My problem here is that i dont know what to search for with what i am trying to do.

Any help would be appreciated. my email is [email protected]

thank you in advance for your help and ideas

imetu

Look up "portals" and "relationships" in the FileMaker help. A portal showing the related Items is the way to go. Make sure the relationship definition has "Allow creation of records in this table via this relationship" checked on the Items side.

This topic is 6555 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.