Scripting The Opening Of An External File

This topic is 6552 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

From within the main file I have a script that creates a new file with it's name based on a variable. In the next step I want to open that file but no attempts I've tried seem to work. I've tried the Automatically open upon completion check box, Send Event, DDE execute,etc. but nothing will open the file that was just created. Any thoughts?

What kind of file are we talking about?

Forget about DDE Execute, it's obsolete. The Send Event should work in all circumstances as long as you have the path correct. Can you post what you have tried there?

Also make sure there are no timing issues. Maybe give FM a 1 second pause between creating the file and opening it.

The newly created file is a regular filemaker FP7.Normally a set variable approach to setting the path would be filewin:/drive:/folder:/$filepath but that approach won't work with the opening of files and that's where I'm stuck. What I'm trying to achieve is this. The master file has about 5000 records. I'm going through one at a time outputing each record as it's own file. I'm saving as a clone because I want to preserve the account privileges, layout and scripting etc for each record. (The new file is named according to the "title" of the record). Then I open the new file and import the related content from the single record in the master file. So what I end up with is a single record file copy of the master file. I just don't want to have to select the new file manually 5000 times. SO how to go about automating the opening of the new file. Thanks for the help

This topic is 6552 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.