Keep lossing contact with server

This topic is 6507 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

We have small set up, a Mac g4 running FM7 server and 4 users. I periodically lose contact with the server from my g5 Imac, have to reconnect with Open Remote. Is this because the server is sleeping; do I need to change settings? 10.4.6

The server must never be allowed to sleep. The same applies to clients, watch out for energy saver options particularly laptops.

It's ok to turn off the monitor, but don't let the disks sleep either.

I was under the impression that the clients didnt really matter unless one of them was the host? Or was that when a front end was connected indirectly to the backend... i forget.

• 2 weeks later...

This is more of an anecdote, but meeting a new client with the same general (network related) complaint, I discovered they had two DHCP servers running concurrent IP ranges, along with several laser printers manually coded to IPs within the same dynamic range (which was set to a very short range to boot! Yeesh.

Server must have a static IP address, not one assigned dynamically. Also check that there is no auto-sensing going on on the server's port on the switch. Also check cables, NIC cards, etc. to see if something in on the fritz.

Steven

This topic is 6507 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.