Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Multiple Portals with different filters on one layout

Colm Tourque

This topic is 6546 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm relativly new to filemaker (about 2 months now). I'm trying to make a layout with a dozen different tables on it summarizing different aspects of someones work. I figure that portals may be the key. Is there any good reading material online to explain how to do this? All the users data I wish to summarize reaside in 3 tables, Demo, QD and Contact. Demo is related to QD via ChildID and Contact is related to Demo via Contact ID. QD and Demo have most of the data I wish to show filtered to the current month via about 12 different fields. I can be more specefic but really I'm looking for the material to guide me in doing this. I've got Special Edition Using Filemaker & and the FileMaker Pro Bible, but they only explain breifly how to setup one Portal on a page.

Edited by Guest

If I'm understanding your correctly, then the answer is you can only display the records for one relationship in a portal. You can of course have several portals, one for each relationship you want to show data for on one layout, but I don't think that was what you wanted to know.

Most likely, you are wanting to display multiple TO data in the same portal. If so, this is an illusion, and is done by creating multiple copies of the layout, using buttons to go from one layout to another, where the portal and relationships are changed as you flip through them to reflect the desired data.

If you have Advance, there is a new Tab Tool that can help you set up the buttons and the layouts.

If I'm missing the point, then please explain further, and or attach your files.

HTH

Lee

I use FM 7 by the way, not 8 (where do I change that I did not see it in my options).

IN any event tbough I AM wanting to put different portal with different views based on the same join on one layout. Could this be accomplished using tables instead?

I use FM 7 by the way, not 8 (where do I change that I did not see it in my options).

Menu >> My Profile >> Control Panel >> Public Profile >> FileMaker Questions

IN any event tbough I AM wanting to put different portal with different views based on the same join on one layout. Could this be accomplished using tables instead?

Still fuzzy,

Can you post a file?

And then explain what you want to see under what circumstances.

Lee

Edited by Guest

the file is over 50mb and is actually way more complex than this. It also holds all kinds of such as socials, birthdays and such. Sorry but here is an example of what I am talking about.

Lets say the tables are real simple like this:

Tabl1: Demo

ChildId

ContactID

ChildName

Table2:QD

ChildID

Date

DateIntro

Dateintake

DateIFSP

Table3:Contact

ContactID

ContactName

And based off that I wish to create the following

Layout:

ContactID ContactName

Portal1:(oderbyDateIntro)

Demo:ChildID Demo:ChildName QD:DateIntro

Portal2 (orderbyDateIntake)

Demo:ChildID Demo:ChildName QD:DateIntake

Portal3 (orderbyDateIfsp)

Demo:ChildID Demo:ChildName QD:DateIfsp

Where each portal might hold a dozen children basef off the current month.

Edited by Guest

This topic is 6546 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.