Using text in custom window for import

This topic is 6519 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Here's what I'm trying to setup:

When I go to import some records from an external file, it pops up a window asking me for a job number to be associated with that record. That value is then stored with each record in a "Job Number" field.

What's happening to me is that it places that value either not at all, or in only the first record. Is there a way to pass along a variable from a custom window and have it stored with each and every record that is currently being imported?

Without seeing the actual file, I would guess that it is only in the import file once. Once an import has take place, the new records are a Found Set. Whould I would do would be to run a Replace by going to the field involved and using the replace in the Menu (Browse) Replace >> Replace Field Contents (Cmd = on the Mac)

HTH

Lee

• Newbies

Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm not sure either one will work. Over time I will be importing more and more data into the database, each requiring a different job number. I was using that Job Number as the relational link to another table for each Job.

Would it be possible to write a script so that when I went to import records it showed me a list of from the Jobs table and I could select with one to associate all the records I was currently importing?

This topic is 6519 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.