This topic is 6531 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

to say the least I am far from a computer expert, however I managed to get put in charge of creating our filemaker database. I'm having some issues with search lag so the people at filemaker suggested that instead of implanting the whole photo file into the container field (which had to be done so the image could be seen by all on our server) to set up a folder on the server so the image would only have to be refrenced from that folder. The sad part about this is now people are not able to export the image from the container field.

Is there a script I can substitute the original export script with that can export the image via the file path, or is there an easier crafty solution that someone has come up with?

The "people at Fileamker" gave you bad advice. Store the pictures in the database, but put them in a separate file (file, not table) that is linked by relational keys to the other information.

This isn't a server question, but that'll fix it for you I believe.

Steven

Since the picture is not physically in the container field you can't export it. But you don't need to: When the pictures are referenced then they are (should be) in a path that is available for each user. So a user can get at the picture by simply navigating to that folder.

What is it you want them to do with the picture?

Here's thing: when you reference the picture inside FM, they're not physically inside FM. So there is no need to export them back out. They are already/still on the hard disk in the folder where you referenced them from...

They can search and preview them from inside FM. But if they need one, they can just grab it from the source folder.

when you say "export" you mean you want to give users the chance of saving the picture somewhere on their machine right?

Can be done through some AppleScript (using the OS to copy the file from its location on the server to the local machine).

This topic is 6531 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.