What to invest in?

This topic is 6539 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am a rockie when it comes to databases and I am trying to teach myself as i go along as my boss have given me the job to create a database (don't ask me why)

How ever as all this is new to me i would like to know where to start. Basically what should we invest in. It's a small company with 10 computers and they would like to have a database on the server so all can access their clients details.

Do you need to install filemaker on all computers? and could i build the database on my laptop from home and then transfer the file to the server?

I bet it's really stupid questions. Greatful for any replies...

Frida

Hi Frida

Here's the simple "low down". For a 10 user system you will need FMP8 on each users machine and a DEDICATED machine to run FMServer.

There's a 10 user licence pack from FileMaker right now which includes a free FMServer. Call FileMaker for more info.

You can develop on the laptop and transfer to server later - but as you also say you're a "rookie" you may take quite a bit longer than your colleagues are expecting so you might be better with a package that already exists and adapt that to suit your needs.

thanks for your reply,

My boyfriend have experience in building database in mysql and access so i am depending a bit on him. I have had a look at filemaker an it seems pretty straight forward, but maybe I am mistaken?

FileMaker will be quite suitable for you. As you have some backup then why not get the free trial copy from www.filemaker.com and try it out.

These are all good questions. However, they don't belong in the Server forum. You might want to continue the discussion in the forum on dtabase schema.

I'd also recommend that you look at John Mark Osborne's site at http://www.databasepros.com for a lot of good tips. Also, JMO has a number of training videos that you could use to begin to learn about FileMaker Pro.

Best wishes for success and welcome to the FileMaker community.

Steven

Steven

This topic is 6539 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.