Date handling with relationships

This topic is 6525 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am trying to create a summary page that includes all events (in portals)accross multiple tables (vacations, events, to dos) that are equal to todays date. I was able to get the basics to work but there is an issue with events as follows;

An event can have a range (start date to end date) and then frequency (monthly, bi-monthly, weekly, daily) and then can have the day of the week it occurs on. So the trick I am missing is how to let FMP know that the event happens to occur equal to todays date. Any help would be appreciated.

There are a couple ways to make a relationship with date ranges for events, but adding recurrences to the mix complicates things quite a bit, as we discussed in this thread:

http://fmforums.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/124596/

A different approach uses scripts to create separate Event records for each recurrence, as John indicates in this thread:

http://fmforums.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/176396/

It's hard to say what you should do without knowing what method you're using and what you've got so far. Maybe you can post a sample.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a similar question.

I am trying to match a single record in a transaction table with a date range (a start date and an end date) in a rate table. I want to display the matching rate on a transaction record, depending on it's date field.

This is a simple AND relationship in FM7, but the tables I'm working with are in FM5.

Besides converting them to FM7, what's my best approach to setting up this relationship?

Thanks for that, Vaughn. Somehow I missed the smartranges formulas.

Now that I have created range keys for my two files, what is the best way to link them? The documentation suggests a combined key, but I'm not sure what needs to be combined.

You can link the multi-keys the same way you'd link any other key fields: through the Define Relationship dialog.

If you go to the 1st edition page on the Smart Ranges site, there are example files.

This topic is 6525 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.