Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Jumping to next field

Lkorenman

This topic is 8632 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I was wondering if there is some way that I can automate the database so that if a particular value in a field is selected and the selection of that value would automatically jump to a text box, or a text field. For example...the field type is called Assessment Scope, and the two values are "General Population" and "Condition specific" where when condition specific is selected there needs to be some way to enter text. So say someone selects "condition specific" I would want it so that when this is selected they are then able to enter text to describe the condition.

quote:

Originally posted by Lkorenman:

I was wondering if there is some way that I can automate the database so that if a particular value in a field is selected and the selection of that value would automatically jump to a text box, or a text field. For example...the field type is called Assessment Scope, and the two values are "General Population" and "Condition specific" where when condition specific is selected there needs to be some way to enter text. So say someone selects "condition specific" I would want it so that when this is selected they are then able to enter text to describe the condition.

The easiest way I can think of to do this is to make the field Assessment Scope a pop-up menu with a value list that has two items, General Population and Condition Specific. Attach a script to the field that first goes to the field and then pauses the script. When the user hits the enter key to continue, check the value of the field, and if it's Condition Specific, go to the field where they need to enter the specific information.

This isn't a perfect solution though, because the user can exit the field with the tab key, which wouldn't continue the script.

A more complex solution is to hide the field in a portal that is made valid based on the information in your value list field. For details on this technique, check out www.databasepros.com, and in the tutorials section, look for the free tutorial on hiding fields or invisible fields.

This solution will allow you to place the details field next in the tab order after the assessment field. When the assessment field is set to "Condition Specific" you can make it so that the detail field suddenly appears and is entered into.

Alternatively, you can also use a plug-in like ScriptScheduler, which can perform a script on field exit.

Chuck

This topic is 8632 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.