Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Value List from a Specific Field

krajc

This topic is 8634 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have two databases. One is an employee record and the other one is a payroll. In the payroll file I have a field that you can choose the individual to pay by looking up their name from the last name field in the employee database. I have the field as a pop up list using the last name field from the employee database as the value list. The problem is that the list will not show people with the same last name. The list only contains the first record entered with that name spelling. First, is this the best way to do this and if so is there a way to get the value list to show all of the records in the database?

quote:

Originally posted by krajc:

I have two databases. One is an employee record and the other one is a payroll. In the payroll file I have a field that you can choose the individual to pay by looking up their name from the last name field in the employee database. I have the field as a pop up list using the last name field from the employee database as the value list. The problem is that the list will not show people with the same last name. The list only contains the first record entered with that name spelling. First, is this the best way to do this and if so is there a way to get the value list to show all of the records in the database?

The only way I can think of is to show another field in the database, such as the ID number or the first name. If I'm not mistaken, the value list builds itself from the index, and the index only keeps duplicate words a single time.

I would do one of the following. If you have an ID field, have it be the first field that the list is based on, and then have "also show" to have the Last Name field. That, or create a Full Name field which concatenates the first and last names.

Chuck

This topic is 8634 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.