Portal word-wrap or expand to show all text

Steve Pugh

This topic is 6469 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi all,

I've got a portal on my main layout which links to a "Notes" table, where the "Note" field for each record linked to my main layout's "Task" field is displayed.

Some of the "Note" fields can contain a LOT of text, but when I browse my layout, it gets truncated to fit inside the field as drawn in the portal.

How can I make the portal field 'grow' to show all of the Note text?

Many thanks,

Steve

I don't know how much real estate you have, but, I had a similar problem and I opened the portal row to about 45 PX and put the note field below the other data fields. I then spread the field the full width of the portal and made it 30 PX which is 2 lines deep using Verdana 9 pt. Now you get two lines of text and if you go over the field will open when you click into it.

HTH

Heh...clever solution, but I don't have *that* much real estate - I really could do with it expanding only when it needs to.

Although, if I can convice the Powers That Be to buy all of us 30" monitors, this problem could go away nicely... :P

Have you considered a Tooltip? When your mouse hovered over the Notes field, you could have it display the entire note. This would require no changes to your existing layout. Your other option is to place a button on the Notes field that would use the Go to Related Record step to open the note in a new window with no other field on it.

I hadn't considered a ToolTip, that's an interesting possibility. I guess I was just hoping that, with the "Unlimited Vertical Penetration" provided by having a scrollbar on the Portal control, the fields within that portal could expand to display all of their data. Is that essentially impossible?

Best,

Steve

• 1 month later...

This topic is 6469 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.