Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Importing data from MS Word

This topic is 6526 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi everyone,

I've just started a new job in an office with a copy of FM6 on Windows 2000. They want me to build a client database that includes a function to take a client survey that's filled out in MS Word and import the answers into FM. Is this possible? I can't picture how it would work, other than possibly converting the questions and answers into an Excel format and importing that - but even that seems redundantly difficult. Is this a situation where cut and paste really is the best way?

Thanks so much!

Sure, this is possible. But I don't know if you'll like my idea or not, because it's probably going to be a pain to setup.

I don't believe MS Word uses SQL/ODBC commands, or otherwise this would be fairly simple.

The only way I can think of is to save as a plain text file, and then read/import that file into FileMaker. You can use text parsing functions to read the file and place the info into FM fields. The problem with this is that the text files HAVE to be consistently formated one way for this to work.

If you could export the info as an Excel file, that would probably be easier than my method.

Otherwise, I doubt that you could have FM instantly read a Word file.

Out of curiosity, WHY do they want the same information in two different programs? They're just askng for trouble that way. If it's for reporting purposes, then may I suggest to build the whole thing with FM, and scrap the MS Word thing?

Hi Brent,

I was thinking along similar lines.

I also thought about a runtime, web service, and I recall a file called "Dragon Survay" or something by at www.wavesinmotion.com that was in v4 and v5, I couldn't find it today though.

Here is a file by CobaltSky Here that may be of help to you.

I am curious as to how many questions, what form will the questions be in, i.e. checkbox, T/F, multiple choice, statements, etc.

How many are going to take this survey?

HTH

Lee

Thanks! This is a website development company and they want to be able to send out a survey to new clients about what they're looking for/how they want to use it/what customers want, etc. This is in short narrative format. The current idea is to email a Word document, have them fill it out, and return it via email, then import it into FileMaker so the answers are all there with the customer records. Your answers, though, make me think about how to get the clients to fill out the info directly in FM. Maybe a web form...? I haven't set one of those up before, but I think I could figure it out!

Thanks so much for your help!

The nice thing about using Word format is that you can easily presume that everyone has/uses MS Word.

If it's a fairly easy/short survey, then maybe Instant Web Publishing using FM will be a quick and viable solution.

This topic is 6526 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.