Set Field Copy from 1 Table to Another?

This topic is 6519 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

This is probably pretty easy, but I am new to Filemaker and could use some help.

I have two tables with the same fields. One table is used to validate the field. Once validated, I want to copy the contents of the field into the Master Table.

Validation Table___________Master Table

-------------------------------------------------

Name ---copy entire contents> Name

address -copy entire contents> address

I want to write a script that will copy from the validation fields to the Master fields (same names) after a user validates the information. I beleive Set Field is the best method for this. I cannot figure out the calculation to select the entire contents of the field in the Validation Table to copy.

set field [master table::name;validation table::name = ???Calculation to get all validation table::name contents???

I think this is right except for the calculation to get all the field contents.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.

John

If you really want to do the above, take a look at the replace function. You could find the records ready to copy the field and then replace them.

I would wonder if you should look at your database structure. Why enter data in one field and then copy to another when a relationship would be better. F'rinstance, in my database I have a Patients, InsuranceCompany, Provider... tables that all need addresses. I then have one table for all the addresses with one field that identifies if for Patients, InsuranceCompany or Provider... as well as the ID for each of those tables. I only need to set the validations for one table for addresses and with a relationship, any Patients, InsuranceCompany, Provider table can use them.

I wrote something in the same spirit in the other thread where he double posted ...

http://www.fmforums.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/177630/post/209641/hl//

...don't doublepost, the reason for hessitation could perhaps be the way you ask your question!

--sd

This topic is 6519 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.