Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Drop down lists

This topic is 6527 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am creating a data base which at this point has two tables, Customers and invoices. I want the invoice form to have a drop down list of all the customer's names to choose from. I made the customer name field in invoices a number with lookup to the customer table of its customer name. I related the tables by customer number. This did not work. So I defined a customer "list" which pointed to the customer name field in the customer table. Then I made the customer field on the invoice layout a drop down list pointing to the customer list. This also did not work.

So how do I do this? I cannot find an example of what I would be a common feature in any of various reference books.

Thanks

[email protected]

Not sure if the attached file will help but have a look. The drop down list is defined in Value Lists. There is no file password but you may need to enter Guest as the user.

If you wanted the customer name in invoices could be a lookup from customers based on Customer_ID.

Cheers Pedro :-)

Sample.zip

Edited by Guest

• Newbies

This is very interesting. It works but I would have thought one would make the customer name field the one with the drop down list. I will study your example. Thanks.

We are ptobably going to visit

Australia later this year. How is the weather in October-November? :

The link between the tables is the Customer_ID so this needs to be selected in the invoices table. Creating a value list using both Customer_ID and Customer Name but only showing Customer Name allows the user to select by name.

We are ptobably going to visit

Australia later this year. How is the weather in October-November? :

Depends what areas you're visting as the climate varies, most areas should be good that time of year :-)

Cheers Pedro :-)

This topic is 6527 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.