Server Maintenance This Week. ×

data base taking up lots memory

This topic is 6526 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello,not sure if this is correct place for this query but couldnt find a mnore relevant area.

Im new to data base desighn and have 1st one working ok buT extremely surprised at how much memory is being used d/b is just 12 pages and just over 200 data entry and is already at 600MB

Am i DOING SOMETHING SILLY HERE ?

hello,

this is the entire folder

possibly 50 photos most reduced to aroung 50kb

each page has about 40 fields,

some sub pages holding data maybe 6 fieds in each

i initially copied folder and it was about 60MB but has simply rocketd up ...nothing wrong in its working just that it has surprised me

jacky

... Really a bad idea to store images in the actual file as far as i'm concerned - it makes data backup really hard due to the enourmous size and how sure are you about the 50kb thing?

Hello,

thanks for reply.

I am using pics that in the main (tho all will be later()are reduced in size to around 50-70 kb

I store these in a container in a record in a parts list that in turn is brought in to the main d/b screen where they are displayed as required.

Its the overall size that has surprised me and led me to believe i may be making some sort fundamental error as I am new to this.

The overall system works as I hoped for with no obvioUs problems

regards

jacky

I stumbled over this:

each page has about 40 fields

...which could point at a further normalization of the structure and perhaps indexes where they have no point at all.

Next issue I would consider could be the use of pixeled graphics ...gradiation in attempt to make a 3D profiled look, should subscripe to being build up by the items found to the left in the status area, ond not be flown in from say photoshop without scrutinization, use Photoshop to the rounded bits, but straight items should be a combination of 1 pix wide lines in different colours, because it's easier for filemaker that way and the storage requires much less.

--sd

Hello

thanks for reply,

I will look into what you have recommended

I had no idea there was other ways to produce the pic and i will try read up on excatly what you mean

thanks

jacky

p.s as far as im aware there is nothing in the fields that are not going somewhere but as newbie I may have that completely wrong

This topic is 6526 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.