PDF in Container Field

This topic is 4782 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello all, I'm new to the forum, but I've been developing FileMaker solutions since version 2.

I have a database in which each child record in a table links to a parent record with an associated container field. Inside each container field is a PDF file.

When printing the contents of the container field, the PDF looks fantastic if I print from a Mac and terrible (low resolution; very blocky) if I print from a Windows machine. The helpful gang at FileMaker, Inc. informed me that there is nothing they can recommend to improve the quality of printing the PDFs on Windows.

Does anyone here know of a plug-in or workaround to get my PDFs to look nice when I print them? Please note: the layout with the container field also has other fields displayed, the net effect is to put the address of a customer in the appropriate spot on the PDF form.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• Newbies

If this layout always uses the same PDF file, you can just insert the PDF file directly onto the layout (in layout mode, Insert--Picture). Then overlay the DB fields on top of it. This takes out one layer of overhead in managing the PDF data.

• Newbies

Thanks for the suggestion; however the purpose of using the container field is to allow users to use many different documents on the same layout.

What I'm chiefly interested in finding out if anyone knows of a way to make the PDF files shown in the container field print as clearly as they would from Acrobat or any other application that renders PDF.

I don't know what happens on Windows, but perhaps it's worth a shot: open the PDF in Acrobat, zoom in to at least 300%, and take a screen shot (or several, which would need to be tiled). Put this in the container field, and resize back to original size.

• 4 years later...

Old thread, but to save others from trawling the web I have found a partial solution to this with FileMaker 11.

Open your database in OS X and Import the PDF as a Picture into a container field.

Open the same database in Windows and File-->Save/Send Record as PDF.

I found the resulting PDF prints fine from Windows XP/FileMaker 11 printing to an HP colour LaserJet and Samsung PCL printers.

In short, PDF import on a Mac. Save/Send Record as PDF from Windows, Print PDF of Exported record. Not sure what the solution is if you don't have access to a Mac, would be interested to find though.

This topic is 4782 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.