This topic is 6518 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

in what way does FMP8 store the index? by that i mean; does it simply assign index to every entry (using the "Auto-enter Serial") cronologicly or can i hash the index some how?

my point is that i dont want to end up with empty spaces if i delete, update or move anything, you know the old reoccuring problem... :

all indexing problems are said to be fixed in FM8v3.

You can define a field as indexed, but you can not fine tune the "hash" size

See FM8's "help":

"FileMaker Pro indexes:

A value index is created by taking each line of text (delimited by the carriage return character) and taking up to the first 100 primary character weights that all the characters in that line generate, according to the Unicode Collation Algorithm.

Word indexes can only be created for text fields, where they are used for searches. A word index is created by storing each unique word in a field"

im sorry but i didnt quite get that...

so, if i understand you correctly, you cant build a hash structure in FMP8? what i basicly want to do is the eliminate the possibility of getting "empty" indexes if i for example delete or move a post. im going to be setting up quite a big database so searching time is going to be critical. what other options, if not for a hashindex, do i have?

This topic is 6518 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.