Value List limit for performance?

kmac

This topic is 6501 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am a total newbie when it comes to FMP, but I want to create a database (or set of databases) to keep track of my genealogy research. There would be a main database that would hold all the fields necessary for what I want to keep track of. I’m not sure if I will need to create other databases with relationships back to the main research one OR if Value Lists (editable) in the main research DB will be sufficient.

So, my qustion is this: If I create a Value List for a certain field in the main research DB, say, Locality, and enter in about 100 entries, does that have any adverse afffect on performance in FMP? Would a better option be to create a separate database for Localitys and enter these 100 in that and create a relationship from that to the Locality field in my main research database? (I hope I’m using the correct terms here.)

I have a lot to learn about this fabulous program. I have been practicing, doing tutorials, reading, etc but have not created my first database yet. Trying to get myducks all in a row first.

Thanks for any help!

Play play play, pull things apart, blow things up, its all good :) - welcome to the forums.

As for your question in terms of value lists... i use ones attached to the values of fields all the time. The only "adverse effects" that i find it has is maybe a 1 sec delay (in custom web publishing or instant web publishing only keep in mind not over a lan). I have around 2000 entries in this value list and use a drop down list with auto complete enabled to help filter the list.

Point is, no there are not really any adverse effects from my point of view.

Hoped this helped, if it didn't feel free to say so and post again.

~Genx

We're dealing with humans here, the computer is never at fault and will do only as instructed.

Don't wory Genx, when you've as many miles under the belt as me you'll understand.

• 2 weeks later...

This topic is 6501 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.