audit trail

This topic is 8287 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

You could try an Activity File. When the user attempts any activity you create an activity record which logs the date, time, terminal, and what I call an "activity string". By using a univeral Global field(s) in which you can set "activity description" you can report back to that field on every meaningful activity a specific text string which is written to the activity record when the user has completed the specific task. I haven't used this with multi-tasking terminals, but the concept should be relative.

Been real busy for a long time...Good to be back!

• Newbies

Here's the deal:

I had to create a FileMaker app that provided an audit trail--that is, where every change, including its substance, time, date and connected person, is logged in an audit file. So I've done this with a very elaborate set of scripts and layouts. Basically, people create new records, enter what they need to enter and then "commit" the record, so that no further changes can be made without taking them through the audit log scripts.

Now, the users want to have more than one record "open" at a time. (Give them an inch...) So my question is, has anyone done something like this and how did you do it? Is there a way to make FileMaker capable of being opened in more than one instance? (On WinNT, you can have an arbitrary number of Excels, for example, open at once, yet you can have only one FileMaker open.)

Any thoughts? Would be most grateful.

-john

PS I'm cross posting between security and scriptmaker!

• 2 weeks later...

Now, the users want to have more than one record "open" at a time. (Give them an inch...) So my question is, has anyone done something like this and how did you do it? Is there a way to make FileMaker capable of being opened in more than one instance? (On WinNT, you can have an arbitrary number of Excels, for example, open at once, yet you can have only one FileMaker open.)

I have created a database that has tracking features before. What I'm curious to know is, what do you mean by Filemaker being opened in more than one instance?

Do you mean, have FileMaker open as well as MS Excel, Word etc. at the same time?

Here's what I did. The database that contains all the data to be entered and editied is the one that also does the tracking. I only have a few little scripts running. All the tracking is done by calculation fields (they track the layout they were in, the field they changes, person, day and time instantly) and it only calculates when data is changed.

As far as the contents goes, that where the scripting comes in. I had to put an edit button on the layout which ran a script that copied all the contents of each field into anther field, then it took them to a layout that was editable and allowed them to edit the whatever they wanted. When they were done they selected another button that said "Submit" and it took them back to the layout that was not editable. The calculations are still running as this is taking place.

Is this what you are looking for?

I'm not sure... Hope this helps!

This topic is 8287 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.