Login users and passwords

maribel

This topic is 8209 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have some Databases that are used by several users, I need a login and passwords with diferent access levels.

I really want is that a customized process where I can manage "login users" and "passwords". Both, "login users" and "passwords" must be unique to each user and they given different access levels. The application I'm developing is "multiusers" so we have FMServer an FMPro 5.0 for that, this makes the application be accessed by the same time for two or more users. I need to record the user who makes changes on any records on the database.

I really need your help!

Thanks a lot!

And your question is?

If you want to know what your options are...What you want can be done either using the built-in security features of FM alone or using a combination of FM's features and several additional files for users and passwords. Access can be limited explicitly by checking the "password" the user's enters with and controlling navigation through the use of checks in each navigation script and the fields displayed on a particular layout. The use of built-in features is easier. Basically writing all your own checks is a lot more work, but allow complete tailoring and the modification of access passwords and privileges without taking the files off-line. If you use a custom approach, it must be considered very early in the design or you are headed for a lot of rewrite.

Exactly how to write all this is well beyond the space available in this forum to answer. If you ask specific questions, perhaps we can address them.

-bd

I really want to caution about these so-called custom log-in or log-on password schemes. Unless an extremely precise and rigorous protocol is followed, these systems introduce numerous security lapses and holes into FileMaker Pro solutions. Please use very great caution.

Old Advance Man

I have just post a tiny template who presents a begin of solutions for your problem.

The problem: it's in french.

Just take a look.

www.h2o.be

Ones one the home page, clic on "Mots de passe et autorisations d'acces" (passwords and access authorization"

[ November 26, 2001: Message edited by: Jean-Marie ]

quote:

Originally posted by Old Advance Man:

I really want to caution about these so-called custom log-in or log-on password schemes. Unless an extremely precise and rigorous protocol is followed, these systems introduce numerous security lapses and holes into FileMaker Pro solutions. Please use very great caution.

Old Advance Man

I said this. And I meant it. No fooling.

Old Advance Man

quote:

Originally posted by Old Advance Man:

I said this. And I meant it. No fooling.

Old Advance Man

And you are reason.

Thinking there can be an absolut protection is illusory.

I have just painful observe it again frown.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by Jean-Marie:

And you are reason.

Thinking there can be an absolut protection is illusory.

I have just painful observe it again
frown.gif" border="0

Unfortunately for Jean-Marie and countless others the rudest shocks occur when such log-on systems are almost instantaneously bypassed. The false sense of security such systems engender is perhaps their worst feature.

A reasonably secure custom log on system requires a LOT of work to construct.

As a general rule, the farther away you get from the built-ion FileMaker Pro system, the less secure you are going to be.

Old Advance Man

This topic is 8209 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.