upgrade list problem

This topic is 6530 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm having an odd problem. Probably something stupid and small. I had a list in FM6 that will not work in FM7 or FM8. Explanation:

Address Book.fp7 has a field called "calcName" which is concatenation of "Name_Surname & Name_First & Name_Last"

Then, in my main Data.fp7 database, there was a contact field with a dropdown menu using a list derived from "Address Book.fp7::calcName" --- the problem is I am not getting the list to work in FP7 or FP8. It worked fine creating a list from the calcName before in FM6...

Is this some small checkbox new to FM7/8 or does FM7/8 treat lists different so that a list from a calc field is not possible? Hope this was comprehensible...

Thanks!

FM7/8 has the same (and more) capability with value lists as FM6. I'd guess that either the source calc is not indexed, or the relationship does not have the right context.

You can check the indexing in the Storage option for the calc.

Looking for the correct context is trickier. It's hard to describe, but if you can post a screenshot of the relavant part of the relationship graph and identify the source table and the TO that's the source of the layout where the value list is used, we might be able to see the problem (also include a screenshot of the value list definition).

Is the list not displaying at all or is it missing some of the entries? Please clarify what you mean by it is not working.

You might want to check to make sure the calculation field in the Address Book is stored. If you enter Define Database, you might see the word "Unstored" next to the calculation field. If so, you need the field to be stored. Just open the calculation formula and click on Storage Options. Uncheck the option to "do not store calculation results".

Jackpot!

You were correct, John (sorry for the lack of specification---no values were showing up, it was blank). I totally overlooked the indexing. Strangely enough, at first it wouldn't let me turn on indexing for the calculation "calcName." It was telling me that it referenced a related field/summaryfield/unstored calc field/or field with global storage (non of which the field should have been referencing).

I then discovered that under the "calcName" field definition it said (at the top) "Evaluate this calculation from the context of: AB_Tech" which was quite incorrect. AB_Tech was in fact a relationship to another table, and I need calcName to draw from this table (Address_Book), NOT a relationship. So as soon as I corrected that, it allowed me to turn on calcName's indexing. And then it worked.

Just another quirk of working with tables and internal-file relationships.

Thanks!

Edited by Guest

This topic is 6530 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.