Disabling Passwords for certain groups

mshepard

This topic is 8151 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello,

I'm running FMPro 5.5v1 (Unlimited) but I'm finding it impossible to disable passwords for some users.

Using the security overview, (File->Access Priveledges->Overview) I've found it impossible to disable passwords for certain groups. The result is that all passwords are enabled for all groups, which is really lousy.

I've read the user guide, and supposedly using the "check mark" cursor over the round circle next to each password, you should be able to toggle passwords as accessible or not accessible, but this simply doesn't work. Clicking on the word of the password or on the circle using the check cursor does nothing - the password was accessible, and after clicking it's still accessible.

Is this a bug in 5.5v1? Is there any way to get around this? By default, in my software all passwords are enabled for all groups which makes a lot of different things very difficult. (For example, if you specify that a field should contain the value Status(CurrentGroups), then its value will always be all of the group names since all passwords are activated for all groups)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It's not the passwords that are disabled; it's access to layouts and fields. If you log on with a master password, by definition it is a member of every group.

Step 1 Define Groups

Step 2 Define Passwords

Step 3 Associate one or more passwords with one particular group

Step 4 Associate access privileges for fields and/or layouts with a Group

Go to http://www.windowsacademy.com and order the Security CD. it covers this and more in great detail.

HTH

Old Advance Man

• Newbies

quote:

Originally posted by Old Advance Man:

[QB]It's not the passwords that are disabled; it's access to layouts and fields. If you log on with a master password, by definition it is a member of every group.

Step 1 Define Groups

Step 2 Define Passwords

Step 3 Associate one or more passwords with one particular group

Step 4 Associate access privileges for fields and/or layouts with a Group

It's Step 3 that I'm having a problem with. I've been reading the manuals, and I'm just not clear on how to accomplish this. Whenever I click on anything in the passwords field, whatever was highlighted in the groups box is no longer highlighted, so associating one or more passwords with a particular group is something that I can't do.

Are you saying that I should create a non-master password (a "master password" is something that simply has rights to everything, right?) close the file, open it using that password, and try again?

Also, I've been noticing that if I restrict the priveledges of some passwords, (for example take away the ability to delete and only allow editing on records that user created) that it changes the way the page looks through instant web publishing. Is this normal? (Rather than using the "soft grey" look, it changes to something of a field by field view)

Thanks for the reply, I really do appreciate the help, but I don't think I'm understanding what you're saying.

This topic is 8151 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.