Replacing Troi File

This topic is 6512 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello,

Anyone have good suggestions for an alternative to Troi File Plug in? I'm none too happy that they are extorting $199 for a

developer upgrade for the universal plugin that works with 8.5.

:)

*rant on*

It's bad enough that FileMaker decided to charge for what should have been a free upgrade (web support is nice, but not worth that price), now the plug in developers seem to be riding the coat tails and doing the same thing.

*rant off*

Anyway, I mostly use Troi File for copying files to a local server - what are some good alternatives that work on both Mac and Windows?

Edited by Guest
Added cross platform need

I don't think that is an unreasonable price for a developer license upgrade, ditto for FileMaker's upgrade price. These companies need to make money to stay in business, and what seems like a small feature change to you may in fact represent a substantial investment in development costs. Both FileMaker and Troi have released several incremental upgrades at no charge.

Try AppleScript, it's free.

Siding with Fitch here. On Mac there you can do pretty much everything with Applescript that the file plugins do. You're paying for not having to figure it out. But it is your choice. And you're likely to spend far more in non-billable time than the 200$ they charge.

I need a cross platform solution so AppleScript doesn't cut it for this particular problem (I do use AS for a lot server side things already).

As for my rant, I stand by it: it's simply outrageous for these people to be charging that much money for a simple recompile, especially since you're now hosed if you want bug fixes in the current release. Seriously, if creating the universal version of Troi File was a major issue then their code base was a mess to begin with and I shouldn't be paying to fix their mess.

If they had charged a much more reasonable fee I wouldn't be so annoyed, but this kind of extortion is totally off the scale.

I don't want to belabor this discussion but I think you are being unfair to Troi. Their products are excellent, support is great, and pricing is fair IMO.

You're welcome to your opinion, and I agree, up to this point, Troi has been a good provider of plugins.

This 'upgrade price' however, is way off the scale (40% of a new license). To pay for an upgrade, I expect new features. I don't consider what should have been a simple recompile on their part to provide universal support to cost THAT much. It's simply out of scale for what was delivered.

Again, if their code base is such a mess that it took them significant development time to create the universal release, I shouldn't be paying for that; that's THEIR problem to fix. Do you charge your clients to fix a mess you made? I sure don't.

This topic is 6512 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.