Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Record crashes app when opening in Windows (Not Mac)

This topic is 6480 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Just created a new related record to use as a related database. Working fine on Mac but all Windows users get unexpected quit when that particular file opens. I had to create a navigation scheme to keep Win clients from opening that file. I currently host FM5 Server on Windows NT (WS) to small group of Mac OSX on Classics and Win XP & Win 2000 clients. Peak records 46. Peak Users 10. I am sorry if my replies to help aren't timely as I will be in and out this week.

I think we need to get some wording right first.

Just created a new related record to use as a related database

Do you mean "created a related file"? Records live in a file (in FM5), they live in a table in FM7/8.

What exact version of FM are you using?

Peak records 46. Peak Users 10.

Peak # of files = 46?

What's the exact error message that the Windows users are getting?

• Newbies

1) I am using version 5 Server/Client.

2) This is a related file (sorry) being linked to a portal in another file.

3) There is no error message the entire application quits in Windows (works fine Mac).

I have had several related file associations in the past without incident ued cross-platform. By the way, I checked fonts used and they exist in other files and work fine.

I am not sure if this helps, but we have a file in FMP 5/6 which contains certain records which will crash a Windows system, but not a Mac. It is not the entire file, just certain records. We have recovered and rebuilt the file, but the problem persists. The problem is a repeating field. Entry into that field causes the crash. We are recreating the file in FM 7 without repeating fields.

When you get ready to move your data over, do not import it directly. Export it as a text file, and import the text file instead. The records you mention probably have some kind of corruption in them.

Lee

This topic is 6480 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.