Server Maintenance This Week. ×

trying to import field, but not replace...

This topic is 6482 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am looking to import a field and have a 'add to' instead of replace data, while using a update using matched fields.

I work at a Production company, and multiple clip numbers can be used in multiple 'PODs' and I want to be able to figure out what clips are in what pods, I am integrating Final Cut Pro into the mix, so it is exporting all of the info that I need, I just want it to tabulate in the pod field while keeping the same clip # and the same number of clips in the database

it seems like it should do this for me fairly easily...

Import into another table, and use a Loop script, within those new records, to "append" data to the original data (set the original field to itself & ¶ & the new data). You would need a unique ID and relationship to the original data, for a 1-to-1 match. But that's all.

When you're all done, you can delete the imported records. One little glitch. If you delete the records as you go, within the loop, be sure to commit record first. Otherwise it will append the new data to the original, then remove it again when you delete the imported record. It's weird to watch :)-]

Imports always replace the data, Set Field, without the above tweak, also replaces the data. So, no it will not really do this for you easily; but it is not all that difficult to write. And for a reasonable size of data it will run fairly quick, especially if you're only doing 1 field.

Someone else may know a more clever method, but I can't think of it. There is no "Append data" option in Import (perhaps there should be).

Edited by Guest

• Newbies

Thankyou very much, I have been looking through the FM101 file you have, and it is being quite helpful... been working with filemaker for about 4-5 years, at my previous job and I wish that I would have come here much sooner, would have made the edi process much easier... Thank You, very thank you

You're welcome. Please be aware however that those articles were written (way) before FileMaker 7 came out. So, which most of the concepts are still valid, there may be better ways to do it now. But the relevant Loop, set related field, would be the same. I don't have an example of that exact thing in those files.

Another idea, rather than this "append data" idea, is to split these off into another table. This is better relational structure. It is easy enough to use something like:

Substitute ( ValueListItems (Get(FileName), "related field"); ¶; ", " )

to show them as text in their parent table.

This topic is 6482 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.