recovering damaged file

This topic is 6478 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Is it the end of the road when having tried to recover a d/b it still will not operate ok?

Mine opens ok but any attempt to work on a field instantly brings up "encountered a problem"

All is not lost as i have a back up just one day old but for my own knowledge i would like to know what else i could possibly do to try recover use of this d/b

jacky

The Recovery Function tries to fix your file enough so that you can get at your data. Do not continue to use the file. Instead, export the data to text files, and import the text files into a pristine copy of your file.

If you don't have a clean copy of your database, then you should recreate it,

Lee

Hello Lee

thanks

I will try what you suggest ,I know that there are some 15 records more in the d/b than currently shown on the screen that opens .which as i said as soon as you touch any field --bang you are locked out.

The thing may be beyond help any way as it occurred whilst i was working on files only remotely connected to the d/b

jacky

... Either that or run through every single one of your scripts, all your layouts, check all your relationships are functioning properly, check all your calcs are evaluating properly ... and then replace all the things that FM removed in order to get your file open.

Yes, I used the term pristine because you want to use a copy that has never failed. This could be the last backup prior to a failure, or in some cases, the developer keeps a copy that has never been used, and uses a copy of it when the file fails.

HTH

Lee

[color:red]Genx, I wouldn't do that. The corruption could still be there on a layout, or in the data. That was one of the reasons I suggested Text Export.

I understand, and that is why I said a Pristine Copy. This implies that it is a copy of a File that has never been used, or one that has never failed, and dates back a while.

Lee

Hello

thanks guys I have tried your suggestions and I can restore all the data except 10 known entries that just doesnt appear.As i said earlier no real damage was done as a backup current to ealier in the day was available ,the whole excercise was basically for any actions that i should take if similar occurred in the future.What made it all seem odd was the way the error was activated as soom as any field was clicked on,though i could look at some tabbed layouts and its data ok

jacky

This topic is 6478 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.