Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Allow users to reset passwords

This topic is 6473 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm wondering if it is possible to give a user something other than full account privileges and yet still allow them to reset and/or delete user passwords. Is this possible?

Edited by Guest

Yes. It's a built-in script step. You have the option of allowing a user to change his or her own password or of allowing a management person to reset a password for an Account and require the user to change that on next log-on.

Additionally you can add Accounts, delete them, activate Accounts and deactivate them.

If you have a lot of Accounts and a lot off files, you would do better to do this through External Server Authentication, where either AD or OD manages the Account and the credentials lifecycle.

Steven

Sorry -- I didn't see your response earlier.

I know this can be scripted, but I've found that if the user doesn't have full file access they can't change other people's passwords or modify accounts.

I don't want to give full access to any of my users, but I do want select users to be able to reset passwords and delete accounts.

Any idea how this might be achieved?

... You have to script all of it. If you want the admin to be able to reset the accounts password you would have him put the accountname into a field, then press a button, which uses that accountname to reset the password using the Reset Account Password[] Script step, where the accountName field is the accountName in that step and some arbitrary value like 123456 is the new password.

Here's my sample file -- the script doesn't work for the limited access user.

Full access -- Account: Admin, password: lucky

Limited access -- Account: User, password: pass1

2nd account to be changed: User2, password: fishbowl

I'm thinking now that I might have to script in a temporary change in the user's access privileges.

password_test.fp7.zip

This topic is 6473 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.